Saturday, September 8, 2012

Grace Like Baths

Ellie took this pic.  She gave her a make-over and then had her pose. Ha!
As most of you know, we are living with my grandparents and are assisting them, when needed, around the house.  This past week, Granny was starting to look a little distraught, and I knew she hadn't had a bath in a while, so I just suggested we head to the bathroom to clean up.  I know I always feel ten times better after I have a shower, so I knew it would lift her spirits.  Grandad does his best to help her clean up, but it's not easy for him, so she doesn't get the privilege of taking baths very often.

We made it to the bathroom, and eventually to the seat in the bathtub.  I started showering her off, and she loved every minute of it.  She kept saying how good it felt.  It was a sweet time for me.  It was a role reversal.  I remember she used to be the one filling my bathtub, cleaning me off.  She still has the same bath toys on the side of the tub that I used to play with.  It seems like it was only yesterday really.  I thought about how she used to care for me, and now I am the one caring for her.

 It's like grace and the love God has for His children.  God showed His love for us by sending Jesus, and because of what He did on the cross for me I want to share that love with others.  The bath is coming full circle.  Granny did for me, and now I do for her.  Christ died for me, and I should die to self to live for Him.  It was a much needed reminder, and I love how God uses the everyday things, like baths to remind me of the grace He poured out on the cross. 

God also uses these sweet, tender moments to reassure me that living here is a part of His plan.  I can get so frustrated, and become so selfish, wanting my own place, that my mind gets clouded.  It's really very similar to a child pouting.  I start feeling sorry for myself.  It's so silly really, and I am so thankful God gives me these times to bring me back to reality.  This life is not about me.  I am not in control of it anyway, no matter how hard I try to control all my circumstances.  When my heart and mind are focused on Christ, all my petty wants don't seem to matter.  Christ should always be my heart's cry.  Maybe I need to give Granny a bath everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I love how you express yourself and how God is working in your life and the life of your family. I truly believe you should consider making the Crowe's Nest into a devotional someday.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete