Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day...is NOT my favorite day...

Today was Mother's Day and I have to say I'm glad it's almost over.  Too much expectation is wrapped up in this silly day.  A day to honor moms, or is it?  I can say I am fortunate to attend a church where there was no "Mother's Day" sermon.  Jesus was made much of, and not the women in the church.  I believe that's the way it should be.  I'm pretty sure, Mother's Day is not biblical by any means, and most of the time we praise moms on this day, and then preach to dads on Father's Day on how they need to be better husbands, and dads.  Because the moms are so much better than the dads? Really?  Show me that scripture, please.

Honestly, I'm a horrible, terrible, wretched sinner of a mom.  I yell at my kids when my patience is thin, and I choose to clean the bathroom instead of play games with them.  I get frustrated with my daughter, when she can't decide what to wear, and I check the latest news on facebook instead of reading one more book to my boys.  I don't always ask for forgiveness, or fess up to my mistakes, especially when I've messed up in front of my kids.  That's a tough one for me.  I constantly feel like I need to do more, and be more as a mother, so this really isn't one of my favorite days.

I also know this is a hard day for those women who struggle with infertility, and for those who have lost their mothers or daughters.  It's also a difficult day for those who have strained relationships with their mothers.  Why in the world do we celebrate today?  Why do we put our self worth on the line?  We do we have to get our emotions so tied up into just a silly day?

The truth of the matter is I'm a sinner saved by grace.  Christ died for the sinful mother I am.  I don't get it all right.  Nothing, absolutely nothing I do as a mom or a daughter, can make me a better person or save me.  NOTHING.  Without Christ there is nothing.

Do you really grasp that? I'm not asking if you believe it.  I have believed it in my head, most of my life.  I have only grasped this concept within the last couple of years, and I still have trouble truly understanding how tremendous it is.  My self worth, and how I feel is can not be wrapped up in what others do for me, or how my children treat me.  If this is how I define myself, I have set myself up for failure.  I will never, never, measure up.  I will be let down.  Others will fail me.  That's life.  I have to reach for my Savior constantly to put my perspective in place.  He is the One, True, Constant.


No comments:

Post a Comment